I thought I might take a minute to share with you all one of my absolute favorite recipes just in time for the holidays. A raw apple pie. Yes, totally raw- no oven required! This recipe is paleo, vegan, and beyond indulgent. It is even healthy enough to eat for breakfast. This recipe was adapted from Ani Phyo’s All-American Raw Apple pie, a very talented raw vegan chef. Check out her books.
- 2 cups almonds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups dates
- almond flour (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1 peeled orange
- water as needed
- 5 cups very thinly sliced apples (about 5-6 apples preferably softer apples like a gala or red delicious)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the crust:
- Place almonds, salt and dates in a food processor.
- Process until almonds are ground fine and a dough is formed.
- Sprinkle a little almond flour on the bottom of a standard pie pan. (This will keep the dough from sticking.)
- Spread dough out evenly with your fingers. Wet your hands a little if needed. Pinch the edges to form a pretty crust.
For the syrup and filling:
- Cut apples and slice very thinly with a mandoline slicer.
- Place is large mixing bowl.
- Add dried cranberries and cinnamon.
- Place 1/2 cup dates and peeled orange in blender. Add a little water at a time if needed.
- Blend until very smooth.
- Pour syrup over apples and mix until apples are coated.
- Add apples to pie crust. Assemble the very top layers of apples into a pretty circular pattern.
- Let sit for 1-2 hours before serving. (Best results are actually the next day when it sits in the fridge over night.)